Product development and testing
Originally when I looked for an emission decal I bought this one:
On first blush, it looked OK. But look closer. What kind of carburetters are those? They're not HIF's, which were the standard carberetter on '73 & '74 MG-B's. Once I noticed that, I started looking closer and closer. Eventually I sat down and wrote a list of at least a dozen issues with this decal. That was the point I decided to make my own.
If I was going to make one, it had to stand up to living under the hood of an MG-B. A hot, oily, dirty, possibly rusty, environment. So I got some decals made from the same basic material but with minor variations. These decals were stuck to painted steel. To test their resiliency, I mixed up a slurry of 2 kinds of anti-freeze (Dex-Cool and generic), brake fluid, Kriol penetrating oil, PB Blaster penetrating oil, 20W50 motor oil, and carburetter cleaner. I slathered this mixture on the decals, and scrubbed them with a paper towel, and left them out in the sun for a few weeks. To my surprise, they faired pretty well. A little too well actually. The paint didn't even bubble. So then I took straight brake fluid, and scrubbed again, and left in the sun for another couple weeks. And then a few more weeks, and I got what I was looking for. This:
Yep, that's rust. It wasn't there when I started this test. This picture is a little odd, because there is some over spray on the decals, but the laminated decals certainly held up well. That's the kind of decals we make.
6 revisions of the artwork, and 3 months of testing later and we have our first product!
Head back to the MG-B products page.